June is National Garage Door Safety Month!
This is our opportunity to increase awareness about the largest entry to your home and how to keep it working safely!
This is not a complete list of pointers, but they are some of the issues that come up frequently. Always review the manufacturer’s installation or instruction manual for safety guidelines about your particular door.
- Do not let children play on or with the garage door — i.e., riding on them or running in and out as they’re closing. Tell your children about the possible dangers.
- Never put your fingers between door sections.
- Make sure the garage door opener wall mount is out of reach of children, a good height is five feet off the ground.
- Do not leave the garage door slightly open!
- Keep all body parts, fingers, hands, and arms away from tracks, springs, rollers, etc.
- Check the garage door for possible wear and tear. Carefully check over springs, cables, rollers, and pulleys. Do not try to remove, adjust, or repair these parts or anything attached to them. These parts are under high tension and should only be dealt with by a trained garage door professional.
- If there is glass on your garage door, look to see if any cracks have formed. It’s better to solve the problem before it happens!
- If you and/or your family have a vacation in the works this summer, unplug the garage door unit or use the lock security switch on the wall console, (if applicable).
Garage door safety should be remembered in June and throughout the rest of the year as well! In order to keep your garage door safe: know how your garage door works and functions, continue maintenance regularly, and be aware of safety measures!
If your garage needs an inspection or some upgrades, contact Overhead Door Company of Dodge City 620-227-8093 or schedule a service appointment.
Happy National Garage Door Safety Month from everyone here at Overhead Door Company of Dodge City!