We’re officially in fall and that means the chilly days of winter are right around the corner! And it’s looking like it won’t be a mild winter. Over the next several weeks, with warm days in our forecast, it’s a great idea to prepare your garage for the full-force of winter, if you haven’t done so already. It’s time to winterize! These may take a chunk of time, but the time and money you’ll save in the long run will be well worth it! Read more
Buying a new garage door can be a very intimidating task that can also hugely change the look of your house. Lucky for you, we’ve put together this buying guide to simplify this buying process for you. Click here to schedule a time for us to come help you! First you’ll need to know the size of the door.
Let’s start out with the basics: how much do garage doors cost and where are they sold? Read more
Garage door safety should always be on your mind — keeping the biggest moving door of your home in great working condition is vital! Whether it’s maintenance or servicing, Overhead Door Company of Dodge City has all the information you’re looking for and the services you’ll need.
The rollers on your garage door are important pieces to keeping your garage garage door running correctly. Rollers should replaced every few months or so — luckily, it’s an easy task. If you’re looking to replace your rollers, here’s a guide to get it done without an issue! Read more
The average garage door opens and closes 1500 times each year and most tend to go out around the 10,000th cycle, your door didn’t open, now what? If this has happened to you, here is a helpful guide to learn about each part and piece that may need replacement. When replacing a garage door opener, all pieces most likely will not need to be replaced, but a few will. Below are some of the important parts that may need changed before other parts.
- Motor and Gears. This is what gets the door moving; both opening and closing.
- T-rail/Driver Guide. This guides and protects the chain, screw, or belt as the door moves.
- Height Adjustment. This controls the distance the door moves. This can be adjusted to varying levels of force that cause the door to stop, such as pushing upwards on it.
- Inverter and Battery. The inverter transfers AC power from the home to DC power necessary to operate the opener. The battery is for times when the power may be out.
Types of Drives:
Chain – Typically the most cost effective option. Looks just like chains found on a bike.
Belt – The belt has “teeth” on one side that rotate through a gear on the operator that pulls the trolley. Usually the most expensive option.
Screw – This is a continuous thread that connects to the door. Frequently wears out trolley quicker than the chain or belt. Price is average compared to the others.
Below is a visual of other important garage door and opener parts!
If you must replace your garage door opener, it’s better to be knowledgeable. If you’re unsure about a part or have any questions, Overhead Door Company of Dodge City can help! Call us at (620) 227-8093 or contact us about our services.
June is National Garage Door Safety Month!
This is our opportunity to increase awareness about the largest entry to your home and how to keep it working safely!
This is not a complete list of pointers, but they are some of the issues that come up frequently. Always review the manufacturer’s installation or instruction manual for safety guidelines about your particular door.
- Do not let children play on or with the garage door — i.e., riding on them or running in and out as they’re closing. Tell your children about the possible dangers.
- Never put your fingers between door sections.
- Make sure the garage door opener wall mount is out of reach of children, a good height is five feet off the ground.
- Do not leave the garage door slightly open!
- Keep all body parts, fingers, hands, and arms away from tracks, springs, rollers, etc.
- Check the garage door for possible wear and tear. Carefully check over springs, cables, rollers, and pulleys. Do not try to remove, adjust, or repair these parts or anything attached to them. These parts are under high tension and should only be dealt with by a trained garage door professional.
- If there is glass on your garage door, look to see if any cracks have formed. It’s better to solve the problem before it happens!
- If you and/or your family have a vacation in the works this summer, unplug the garage door unit or use the lock security switch on the wall console, (if applicable).
Garage door safety should be remembered in June and throughout the rest of the year as well! In order to keep your garage door safe: know how your garage door works and functions, continue maintenance regularly, and be aware of safety measures!
If your garage needs an inspection or some upgrades, contact Overhead Door Company of Dodge City 620-227-8093 or schedule a service appointment.
Happy National Garage Door Safety Month from everyone here at Overhead Door Company of Dodge City!
The constant to-do of “Home Improvement” is typically overwhelming! Where to start? Which project should be done first? How can I fix up my home in a way that I will see a return on my investment? One of the best projects to change the look and value of the home is to update your garage door. Buying a brand new garage door is not something done on a regular basis; it can be a fairly expensive task. Fortunately, garage doors are worth the investment especially if there is a chance of resale in the future.
First, let’s take a look at the cost of upgrading a garage door. Garage door costs change, depending on many factors: number of garage doors needed, the type of material used, style of the door, necessary installation, etc. The average price can range anywhere from $375 for the lower end materials and self-installation to $3,500 and up for high-end, fully loaded door with installation. The average cost for a mid-range garage door with installation is anywhere from $725 to $1,450. While this is not the cheapest of home repairs, it’s fairly affordable compared to large home renovation projects.
Next, let’s explore the added curb appeal. The outside, public look of a home can be completely transformed by replacing your garage door. Higher curb appeal can can make all the difference if trying to sell your home. If buyers come to look at your home, they’ll be greeted by your garage door when entering the driveway. After all, you only get the chance to make a first impression once!
Finally, and maybe most importantly, the return on investment. Replacing your garage door is has immense benefits, this process can add great value to your home. The exact return will depend on the budget spent on a new door, but on average, you could be looking to add about ten thousand dollars of value to your home. A fairly cost on this improvement is a way to largely increase the value of your home, even on a budget!
Once you have decided to upgrade your garage door, you’ll need a reliable door at an affordable price! That’s where Overhead Door Company of Dodge City comes in! We manufacture and install garage doors just for you! Check out our line up of garage doors and garage door openers and find your perfect fit!
Home Improvement doesn’t have to be a big scary task or a never-ending cycle. Replacing your garage door is a task that can be done and checked off for many years to come! Increase the looks and value of your home with this easy project! Call Overhead Door Company of Dodge City at 620-227-8093 or contact us to get this transformation started!