Buying a new garage door can be a very intimidating task that can also hugely change the look of your house. Lucky for you, we’ve put together this buying guide to simplify this buying process for you. Click here to schedule a time for us to come help you! First you’ll need to know the size of the door.
Let’s start out with the basics: how much do garage doors cost and where are they sold?
- Garage door costs are variable, depending on many factors: how many garage doors, the type of material used, style of the door, installation, etc. The average price can range anywhere from $350 for the lower end materials and self-installation to $3,500 and up for high-end fully loaded door with installation.
- The average cost for a mid-range, installed garage door is anywhere from $750 to $1,500. While this may seem like a hefty amount, the return on investment will make this an easy purchase. Look at it as an investment rather than an expense.
Where to Buy
- Garage doors are sold at any home improvement store, but trying to fit the door into the back of your car or truck may be hard to do. If you’re willing to budget the added cost of installation, it will save you lots of stress. And when choosing an installation company, it is best to go with one you trust, one that is locally based. Overhead Door Company of Dodge City can make this process stress-free and simple!
After you’ve decided how much you’d like to spend and where you will make the purchase, next comes the fun part: choosing a style and the material.
The style of your garage door can be simple and not draw away from the elegance of your house or it can add just the right touch of character to tie it all together; it’s up to you!! Here are four most common designs:
- Carriage House Panels – Detail oriented
- Flush Panels – These are low attention grabbing doors, slightly textured panels that compliment the surrounding wall areas.
- Long Raised Panels – Add depth to the door continuously along the length
- Short Raised Panels – Also add depth to the door
The material of the door can change the look from rugged outdoors to modern and updated. Whatever look you’re going for, here are the most common materials for garage doors:
- Fiberglass & aluminum – Both are very lightweight materials and allow for translucency. They offer a wide variety of looks depending on your style. However, they are poor insulators and tend to break easily, especially in the cold.
- Wood – Chosen for its natural look rather than durability, wood can beautify any garage. These doors require maintenance every couple years, but offer a wide variety of styles.
- Steel – The most common and economical garage door, has ability to mimic the look of wood minus the necessary maintenance. These doors will not rust and can fight most effects of weather, but often come in more limited selection.
The type of garage door you select for your home could be similar to a neighbor or relative, but the accessories you choose are what make it so unique! And with a beautiful door, comes increased curb appeal!
- Windows — All doors can have windows added, in various patterns: horizontal, vertical, towards the top of the door, the middle of the door, whatever you choose!
- Window glass — The glass on the windows can also be personalized. Most options include clear, obscured, or satin glass.
- Hardware — Depending on your door type, various handles and hinges will be a wonderful addition! The handles are both decretive and functional!
A few more things to keep in mind:
- Garage door openers are a separate purchase from the actual garage door itself, but many companies also offer the opener
- If you live in an area with high-winds or extreme weather, make sure your garage door can withstand the elements
- The level of insulation can change based on the material, the higher the R-value the higher the insulation capabilities
Remember to contact us with any questions or concerns about installing your garage door opener. Feel free to call us at 620-227-8093 or contact us here any time.