Are you thinking about buying a new garage door? You’ve come to the right place! As you know, a new garage door can greatly change the look of your house. It’s an upgrade – to say the least. But how do you know what to buy and what the best options are? That is why we have put together this guide to simplify your buying process.
Please call us with any questions or concerns that you may have. Buying a new garage door doesn’t have to be difficult. Allow us to walk you through the experience. Call us at (620) 227-8093 today!
The Great Garage Door Buying Guide –
How much do garage doors cost and where are they sold?
- Garage door costs vary depending on many factors, such as: how many garage doors, the type of material used, style of the door, installation, etc. The average price can range anywhere from $350 for lower-end materials and self-installation to $3,500 and up for high-end fully loaded doors with installation.
- The average cost for a mid-range, installed garage door is anywhere from $750 to $1,500. While this may seem like a hefty investment, the return on investment will make this an easy purchase to justify.
Where should you buy your garage door?
Garage doors are sold at many home improvement stores, but trying to fit the door into the back of your car or truck may be hard to do. Willingness to take on the added cost of installation will save you loads of stress. And when choosing an installation company, it is best to go with one you trust, one that is locally based. Overhead Door can make this process stress-free and simple! After you have decided how much you want to spend and where you will make the purchase, next comes the fun part: choosing a style and the material.
What style are you looking for?
The style of your garage door can be simple and not detract from the elegance of your house. It can add just the right touch of character to tie it all together.
Here are four most common panel designs:
- Carriage House Panels – detail oriented.
- Flush Panels – These are low attention grabbing doors, slightly textured panels that compliment the surrounding wall areas.
- Long Raised Panels – Add depth to the door continuously along the length.
- Short Raised Panels – Also add depth to the door.
What material should you choose?
The material of the door can change the look from a rugged outdoors feel, to modern and updated. Whatever the look you may be going for, here are the most common materials for garage doors:
- Steel – The most common and economical garage door, it has the ability to mimic the look of wood minus the necessary maintenance. These doors will not rust and can fight most effects of weather, but often come with a more limited selection.
- Fiberglass and aluminum – Both are very lightweight materials and allow for translucency. They offer a wide variety of looks depending on your style. However, they are poor insulators and tend to break easily, especially in the cold.
- Wood – Chosen for its natural look rather than durability, wood can beautify any garage. These doors require maintenance every couple of years, but offer a wide variety of styles.
Remember that garage door openers are a separate purchase from the actual garage door itself, but many companies also offer the opener. If you live in an area with high-winds or extreme weather, make sure your garage door can withstand the elements. The level of insulation can change based on the material: the higher the R-value the higher the insulation capability. There are several things to keep in mind when purchasing a new garage door. We are here to help.
Contact us with any questions or concerns about installing your garage door opener.