Garage door safety should always be on your mind — keeping the biggest moving door of your home in great working condition is vital! Whether it’s maintenance or servicing, Overhead Door Company of Dodge City has all the information you’re looking for and the services you’ll need.
The rollers on your garage door are important pieces to keeping your garage garage door running correctly. Rollers should replaced every few months or so — luckily, it’s an easy task. If you’re looking to replace your rollers, here’s a guide to get it done without an issue!
What you’ll need:
- New garage door rollers
- Large flat head screwdriver
- Pry bar
- A block of wood or a helping hand
A helpful reminder before getting started: If you’re replacing the rollers, check the hinges and see if they need replacing, too. Rollers typically wear out faster than hinges, but getting it all done at once would be easier, if necessary.
- Start by opening up your garage door completely.
- Put clamps on both sides of the track, about 2/3 of the way up the opening.
- Release garage door from power opener by pulling attached release. For added safety, unplug opener.
- Near the top of the track, about where it starts curving, use pliers to bend the track slightly open on one side.
- Line up the first roller with the opening. Using a flathead screwdriver, wedge it between the roller and the track, and pry the roller out of the track.
- Replace old roller and insert the roller and bracket back into the track.
- Lower the door to the next roller, moving clamps, and repeat same process for removing and replacing the rollers.
- Once all the rollers that can reach this opening have been changed, use the pliers to bend the track back into place.
- Remove clamps from tracks.
Top rollers can be done one of two ways: bending the track open or unscrewing the bolts on the brackets.
- Open door all the way. Prop it up with a 2×4 or clamp a block of wood to the track so it doesn’t fall on you.
- Bend open part of the track in the middle of the overhead section.
- Pry the bracket out, using the same method as above, and replace the roller.
- Use pliers to bend track back into shape when finished.
- Open door all the way. Prop the door up with a 2×4 or clamp a block of wood to the track so it doesn’t fall on you.
- A few helpful hints:
- Label the holes your rollers are currently in with “R” underneath – this ensures you put the rollers back in the right hole.
- Trace around edge of bracket so you know which direction and where it should be placed back on the door.
- Unscrew the bolts holding the bracket onto door.
- Lift bracket out of track, angling if needed.
- Replace rollers, make sure they’re in the right slot.
- Put bracket back into track – angle it so it goes in easily.
- Line up bracket with outline and reconnect the bracket.
- Thread bolts back into door and tighten.
Finally, remove clamps from tracks, plug-in the garage opener, push the door back towards to opener to reattach it to the motor, close door, watch, and listen for any parts that may be loose.
Roller replacement on your garage door is a great way to ensure safety in your garage. It’s a quick project that can save a lot of hassle. If you’d like to replace your rollers and prefer a professional do it or you have some questions, Overhead Door Company of Dodge City is more than happy to help! Call 620-227-8093 or contact us for a service appointment!